Kody Nestor suffered severe shoulder injuries in Friday’s fall at Mudgee. Photo: JANIAN McMILLAN (苏州美甲美睫培训学校racingphotography苏州美甲美睫培训学校419论坛)DUBBO jockey Kody Nestor will undergo surgery this week on shoulder injuries suffered in Friday’s horrific fall in the Mudgee Gold Cup (1600m).
The popular rider described the aftermath of the five-horse pile up as being “like a war zone” as riders and animals lay on the ground, but conceded things could have been a whole lot worse.
Nestor was riding Scottish Border for Hawkesbury trainer Garry Frazer, and was caught in the middle of the carnage that marred the $35,000 feature event, which ultimately saw just seven runners cross the line and Garry McCarney’s gelding Fox Solid first past the post.
Stewards have opened an inquiry into the fall but adjourned it in order to be able to take evidence from the riders involved.
Nestor suffered a dislocated and broken shoulder in the fall, which occurred when Devilgate Road (Aaron Bullock) appeared to clip the heels of the leader Lancelot, ridden by Anthony Cavallo.
It started a chain reaction that saw Scottish Border, Are You Sure (Jay Ford) and Goldstone (Glenn Lynch) all hit the turf.
He was airlifted from the track to Orange hospital, and after being treated he returned home with wife Anna on Saturday afternoon.
“I’m bloody lucky. We all are really because it’s one of the worst falls I’ve seen, let alone been involved in,” he said yesterday.
“I remember the whole thing and when I hit the deck I looked up and there were blokes on the ground and horses everywhere. It was terrible, it was like a war zone.
The fall at Mudgee is one of the worst in recent memory.
“I was following Mick Travers (All Sixes) and then I saw that first horse come down. Mick’s horse got over it but then mine couldn’t and I came down hard on my left shoulder and just rolled with it.
“Once things had settled a bit I got up and looked at my right arm and my legs and thought I was okay but when I looked for my left I couldn’t see it because it was about three inches away from where it should have been.
“That’s when the pain kicked in and I laid back down and started swearing and carrying on. It was excructiating but everyone, from the stewards to the ambulance officers and nurses, were great and they looked after me and gave me some pain drugs to make me as comfortable as possible.”
After a couple of nights with minimal sleep, Nestor will attempt to get to Sydney on either Monday or Wednesday in order to undergo surgery to repair the shoulder.
“I can’t lay down so Anna has propped me up on the couch and I actually got a good couple of hours sleep while sitting up on Saturday night, but I got none on Friday,” he said.
“If I can fly on Monday I’ll try to get down there, otherwise it will be Wednesday, but I’m pretty keen to get the surgery done as soon as possible so I can start the rehab.
“I’ve watched the replay a couple of times and some people would probably be spooked off after a fall like that. I’d ride tomorrow if I could so I’ll do everything I can to be back as soon as possible.
“Now that I’ve had a bit of time to sit back and think about it I’m just glad everyone is okay.
“I know Mark Milton lost his horse, which is terrible, but I just shake my head how that was all.”
* Kody Nestor – Dislocated and fractured left shoulder. Will go to Sydney on either Monday or Wednesday for surgery.
* Greg Ryan – Concussion and swelling in knee and ankle. Will assess before determining whether he will ride at Orange on Tuesday.
* Jay Ford – Broken hand. Will be assessed by doctors to determine if surgery is required
* Glenn Lynch – Badly fractured left foot and facial lacerations.
* Aaron Bullock – Fractured collarbone in three places and suffered concussion. Will also be assessed by doctors this week
* Sooner Or Later – Suffered a broken leg in the incident and was put down.
* Are You Sure – Swelling and abrasions on hind leg. More will be known when swelling subsides
* Devilgate Road – Stiff and sore around the head and neck. Was knocked out for a short period. Will be retired
* Scottish Border – Jarred up in the legs after doing three laps of the course after the fall. Will be fine.
* Goldstone – Stiff and sore with some skin off nostrils and lips but otherwise fine.
This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on 苏州美甲美睫培训学校.