Capalaba woman charged with Brisbane man’s weekend murder

Police are investigating the discovery of a man’s body in Capalaba. Bushland at Degen Rd, Capalaba. Photo: Google Street View
Nanjing Night Net

Detectives have charged a 32-year-old Capalaba woman with the murder of a 51-year-old Carina man, whose body was discovered in a drainage ditch at Capalaba about lunchtime on Saturday.

The woman will appear in Brisbane Magistrates Court on Monday morning charged with the man’s murder.

Detectives are satisfied no third person was involved in the murder, a police spokesman confirmed on Sunday afternoon.

Police have declined to release the man’s name until the court hearing on Monday.

The man’s identity allowed detectives to begin following “certain lines” of investigation, a police media spokesman said earlier on Sunday.

Detectives were investigating how and when the man’s body was dumped in a drainage ditch on Degen Road at Capalaba.

Two Capalaba residents found the body dumped in a drainage ditch in Degen Road just before 1pm on Saturday as they left their property.

Detective Inspector Owen Elloy told reporters the man had met a “horrible, violent death” but declined to release much information about the crime.

Police Forensic examiners spent the afternoon at the scene, examining the man’s body and looking for weapons and any identification.

The body – with extensive injuries – was found in a roadside drain in Degen Road in a rural acreage section of Capalaba.

While there are homes in the rural acreage area, they are on large blocks of land and back from the street front.

The couple who found the body are still helping Capalaba police with the investigation.

Inspector Elloy said police had set up a command centre at Capalaba Police Station to investigate the man’s death.

Police on Saturday afternoon asked residents if they had heard anything on Friday evening or early Saturday morning.

“They have door-knocked the area, but still not come up with anything to identify him,” a police spokesman said on Saturday afternoon.

Police would not reveal if the man had any identifying information on him when he was found by the two Capalaba residents.

Inspector Elloy gave few details of the likely cause of death, or the extent and location of injuries on the body, referring to the death several times as as “violent”.

He said police would like to talk to anyone who may have seen or heard anything suspicious near Degen Road at Capalaba.

The area backs onto to bush land and an area of wetlands.

Anyone who can help can contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Stay informed. Like the Brisbane Times Facebook page.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Read more

Car totally destroyed by fire:Singleton

Local Firefighters were called to the carpark atthe entrance oftheAustralian Christian College, near the intersection of Kelso Street and New England Highway,on Saturday afternoon to extinguish a car fire.
Nanjing Night Net

At around 3.50pm they arrived at the scene to find a silver Holden Astra well alight after the driver pulled off the New England Highway after hearing a loud bang.

It took them 40 minutes to fully extinguish the blaze and the vehicle was totally destroyed by the fire.

The driver sayshe pulled into the car park heexited the car to find it was already on fire.

The man says he immediately called emergency services, and the vehiclewas towed from the scene.

Car totally destroyed by fire: Singleton Firefighters at the scene.

Firefighters at the scene.

Firefighters at the scene.

Firefighters at the scene.

Firefighters at the scene.

Firefighters at the scene.

TweetFacebookThis story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Read more

San Bernardino shooting called ‘terrorism’ but Americans urged not to fear

FBI Director James Comey called on calling on people to speak to authorities if they see something that “doesn’t make sense”. Photo: AP/File A bizarre spectacle played out on a suburban street in San Bernardino on Friday morning when reporters were allowed into the flat of Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik. Baby food was among the everyday items on show. Photo: Nick O’Malley
Nanjing Night Net

US Muslims feel backlash after Paris and California attacksMayhem at suspected shooters’ apartmentMotive a mysteryTashfeen Malik and Syed Rizwan Farook leave baby behind

San Bernardino: The FBI director James Comey has confirmed the agency is now treating Wednesday’s San Bernardino mass shooting as an act of terrorism, but added there was no evidence yet the two suspects were part of a terrorist cell.

“This is now a federal terrorism investigation led by the FBI and the reason for that is that the investigation so far has developed indications of radicalisation by the killers and of a potential inspiration by foreign terrorist organisations,” he said on Friday.

Mr Comey’s comments came after the assistant director of the FBI’s Los Angeles field office, David Bowdich​, confirmed one of the two suspected killers, Tashfeen Malik, had pledged allegiance to the Islamic State terrorist group in a Facebook post before the attack.

A Facebook executive told the Associated Press Malik posted the material under an alias at 11am on Wednesday. That was about the time the first 911 calls were received and when the couple was believed to have stormed into the social service centre and opened fire during a workplace Christmas party in San Bernardino, California.

She and her husband Syed Rizwan Farook were killed in a gunfight with police after the attack that left 14 of Farook’s work colleagues dead and 21 wounded.

“There’s a number of pieces of evidence that essentially pushed us off the cliff to say we’re investigating this as a terrorist event,” he said.

Mr Bowdich said investigators were seeking to extract data from two mobile phones the couple had apparently sought to destroy in order to obscure their digital tracks. He said the phones could prove to be a “golden nugget” in the investigation.

“Digital media should lead us to motivation, which should lead us … to human intelligence,” he said.

Earlier he suggested it was possible the couple – who assembled a stockpile of ammunition, guns and homemade explosives – had been preparing for an attack on another location before deciding to assault the party.

Mr Comey also suggested that not all the information gathered far so fitted the normal profile of a terrorist attack.

“There’s a lot of evidence in this case that doesn’t quite make sense and so we’re trying to be very thoughtful to understand it and to make sense of it, so we understand the full extent of what we have here,” he said.

Mr Comey called on Americans not to give in to fear.

“What we hope you will do is not let fear become disabling but to instead try to channel it into an awareness of your surroundings” he said, calling on people to speak to authorities if they see something that “doesn’t make sense”.

“We investigate in secret so that we don’t smear innocent people,” he said.

“We don’t run over and bang on your neighbour’s door. If you say something, we investigate. If there was nothing there, no harm done.”

The attacks have prompted further debate in America, with many calling for increased gun control and others demanding greater immigration restrictions and even freer access to weapons.

Follow FairfaxForeign on Twitter

Follow FairfaxForeign on Facebook

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Read more